Cultivate a school community that is empowered by healthy choices as related to the mind and body.
Committee Chairs: Whitney Littman & Lydia Bartoszek
Meets the first Monday of every month at 2PM in the Ophir Elementary Conference Room. (See newsletter for schedule changes)
At Family Food Night, families were hosted with foods from:
Terra Procude LLC, Strike Farms, Gallatin Valley Botanical, Three Hearts Farms, and dairy from Amaltheia Organic Dairy, LLC
Roasted beet and spring herb bruschetta– Smashed chickpeas spread over Wild Crumb Bakery baguette, topped with roasted beet, citrus, and herbs.
Awesome Soup– A puree of local carrots, butternut, onions, turnips and apples, simmered and blended with coconut milk.
Veggie Salad wraps- Wraps and pinwheels spread with Amaltheia Cherve and filled with a mixture of Arugula, baby kale, spinach, sorrel, shaved carrots, Kamut, golden raisin, pumpkin seeds, and shallots tossed in a simple red wine vinaigrette.
Families also made a ‘take home item’ of:
Overnight Raw Oats- Mason jars filled with Montana oats, ground flax seeds, chia seed, ceylon cinnamon, unsweetened coconut, goji berries. Kids filled jars and shake to mix. Take home, fill with water and eat in the morning.
Explore All of our Recipes:
- Beam-Me-Up-Green-Juice-Kale (42 KiB)
- Beet Brownies (0.3 MiB)
- Family Cooking Night - Curry Bowls (0.4 MiB)
- Family Cooking Night - Thai Salad (0.4 MiB)
- Guakalemole-Kale (48 KiB)
- Italian-White-bean-Soup-Kale (53 KiB)
- Kale-salad-wraps-Kale (0.8 MiB)
- Lentil Brownies (0.2 MiB)
- Pineapple Fried Rice (0.4 MiB)
- Recipes-Vol1 (1.2 MiB)
- Recipes-Vol2 (1.0 MiB)
- Zucchini-Bread (0.2 MiB)
Watch the newsletter for monthly Family Food Nights!!! Always open to the entire community!
(Reserve a spot through Linda Nell, 10 Families Maximum)
NEWS FROM THE KITCHEN
- Beginning in January, all main entrée menu items will be labeled with a (gf) if it is a gluten free item.
- This month, Mr. Harder’s 7th and 8th grade Tech classes are stepping away from the screens and keyboards and practicing some essential life skills. Several classes from Design Tech/Thinking will be assisting us in the kitchen to prepare the soup and salad bar in January and February. Participate in school lunch on January 11th and 18th and see just what they have come up with for you!
- TRY SOMETHING NEW DAY is January 31st. Free lunch coupons will be placed under random trays. You, too, could be the winner!
- Congratulations to Ms. Rose’s kindergarten class for eating SO MANY hot lunches in December. They chose the menu for January 24th.
MT grown foods on this month’s menu (thanks to Moonlight Community Foundation) include the following: lentils, chickpeas, apples, carrots, herbs, leafy greens, kale, squash, onions and shallots